If you’re looking for a mobility device that will help move you around efficiently and comfortably– even as you travel by plane, car or train– Mediplus Mobility’s portable power wheelchairs for rent could be an excellent option for you!
Wondering what makes a power wheelchair “portable”? As opposed to highly customized electric wheelchairs or power wheelchairs that come with captains’ seats and extremely heavy bases, portable power wheelchairs are built to help you explore the world around you well beyond your neighborhood.
Usually equipped with stadium-style seating, they are a good choice for people who have good head an neck control. The foldable, pivoting seat is made of durable and easy to clean fabric that withstands rain and heat. It is accompanied by adjustable and removable padded armrests for maximum comfort.
When you choose a travel power wheelchair, you can rest assured that the seat can easily come apart from the chair’s base when the time comes to transport the device in the back of a large car or in a plane’s cargo area.
The base itself packs the chair’s batteries. A normal range for one of these devices is around 8 mph, moving at a maximum speed of about 4 mph. Because the base of the power wheelchair contains not only the batteries– but most of the chair’s mechanical component, it is the heavier section of the device — weighting approximately 50 lbs. Based on the base weight, it is important that when choosing to rent or buy a portable power wheelchair, that you can either rely on a second individual to help you load or unload the chair’s base onto your vehicle or consider purchasing a handy, folding ramp.
Portable power wheelchairs can be instinctively controlled at the touch of a sensitive joystick which allows you to decide on both the speed and direction of the device. Maximum comfort is achieved with an adjustable flip-up foot plate that allows you to find the right position for your feet and spine– a crucial feature, especially when you’ll be spending hours siting on your power wheelchair!
Mediplus Mobility carries an immaculate selection of power wheelchairs for rent– including a fleet of portable power wheelchairs that are ready to accompany you or a loved one on any adventure! To learn more about them, visit our rent power wheelchair page!
Spending time indoors is at times necessary– especially for individuals who are undergoing recovery. But an environment that supplies artificial light and poorly circulating air does very little for a person’s mental and physical well-being. Mediplus Mobility is your one-stop shop to provide you with mobility devices to give you the confidence and comfort you need to feel safe when heading outdoors– as more and more research continues to show that it has great benefits for your health.
Take humans’ need for Vitamin D, for example. Spending time under the warm glow of natural light will make your bones stronger and give a much needed boost to your immune system (especially during cooler months!). Sunshine is also partly responsible for helping to prevent autoimmune disorders. When you venture outdoors you are also helping your body to rest better. Artificial light can throw off your sleeping patterns, but natural light helps to regulate your biological clock and help you achieve a smoother bedtime routine.
The benefits of being exposed to the outdoors are numerous, but as discussed earlier– getting there can be a challenging if you suffer from mobility impairments. That is why, we compiled a list of the TOP 5 Mobility Devices that will help you get outside!
1. Wheelchair: A staple in the mobility industry, whether it be a simple foldable wheelchair or a highly complex tilting wheelchair, this device is an ideal option for individuals who can propel themselves or have a caregiver who can assist them. Wheelchairs are created with durable frames and casters, with some models making them more suitable for outdoors use than others. More and more, wheelchairs are also becoming lighter and easier to push and store– carbon fiber and aluminum wheelchairs are quickly starting to dominate market preferences.
3. Mobility Scooter: Scooters are a good solution for individuals who either tire or suffer from lower-body pain when embarking on long walks. Rated for use on sidewalks– but also malls, indoors spaces, grass and other surfaces– power scooters come packed with features like headlights, shopping baskets and different size batteries. Whereas some are made to be taken apart (or even folded!) for easy transport, other Heavy Duty scooters are large enough that they need to be kept in your garage.
2. Power Wheelchair: A power wheelchair combines the comfort and maneuverability of a wheelchair with the ruggedness and range of a mobility scooter. Usually operated with a sensitive joystick, power wheelchairs are suitable for use in most surfaces and eliminate the need for an individual to propel themselves or seek assistance to do so. As opposed to scooters– which can be bulky– power wheelchairs have an extremely tight turning radius, making them a good option for indoors use. They are the ultimate tool for independent living!
4. Rollator Walker: Oftentimes, individuals are advised to keep as active as possible during their daily activities. A great way to remain active while feeling safe and finding balance is by considering a rollator walker. Rollators are four-wheeled walkers that come equipped with a seat, back-rest and hand brakes. This device is ideal for outdoors use as the combination of brakes and a seat allows you to take a break from your walk to catch your breath!
5. Foldable Walker: This is the least invasive of the devices we just discussed. A simple, aluminum frame with two small wheels at the front, it provides more support and stability than a cane but doesn’t come equipped the features of a Rollator. Aluminum walkers are easy to fold (often with just one button!) and are ultra-light .
Wondering which device is best for you? Let Mediplus Mobility’s experts discuss your needs and priorities as we jointly discover a path for you to enjoy the outdoors again! Not only do we sell power wheelchairs, rollator walkers, walkers, wheelchairs and mobility scooters at excellent prices but they are also part of our comprehensive rental program.
At Mediplus Mobility, we want to help you re-acquire the freedom to explore the world and get where you want to go, when you want to! Anytime is a great time to rent an Electric Wheelchair and allow these amazing devices to give you the freedom and mobility you seek.
Our Power Wheelchairs for rent have all the features you need for a comfortable, stylish and safe and smooth ride—adjustable, reclining seats and headrests, programmable controller are some of the available options. If you need the support and convenience of a Manual Wheelchair but could also benefit from the added power and torque of a mobility scooter, Electric Wheelchairs are the ideal vehicle for you.
City dwellers can particularly benefit from these devices—Electric Wheelchairs are great to easily navigate through cracked sidewalks, asphalt or gravel. They are also the perfect choice for traveling longer distances. Whereas Manual Wheelchairs are appropriate when patients require a device to move largely indoors or travel short distances, they can become hard to use—and at times even hinder your mobility– when navigating tougher terrain. By choosing a top-quality Power Chair you will never be stuck in a bind again—you can count with the power and support you need.
Renting—as opposed to buying one of these vehicles—is the perfect way to try them out! Mediplus Mobility’s flexible options for rental terms allow you to test them out for as long as you need and find out if the device suits all your needs. Similarly, if your budget doesn’t currently allow you to accommodate the purchase of an Electric Wheelchair, you can consider renting a great way to enjoy all the support and freedom that these devices can bring into your life. Many of our clients choose rentals as the best option for them. If you require more information, don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of our expert service-people who will help evaluate your routine, expectations and needs to help you make an informed decision that will suit your lifestyle, health needs and pocket.
You can reach the team at Mediplus Mobility to learn more about our stylish and sleek Motorized Wheelchairs by phone and online during regular business hours. We will happily walk you through the range of options we have ready for you and help you find the right Electric Wheelchair to have you outdoors, and enjoying the sunshine in no time!